Monday, June 10, 2024

Nigerian Media Must Stand Firm Against Dictatorship

 By Dele Sobowale

“The jaws of power are always open to devour, and her arms are always stretched out, if possible, to destroy the freedom of thinking, speaking and writing [the truth] John Adams,1735-1826, US President, 1797-1801.


The Nigerian media, print, electronic, main line and online, except the traitors in the industry, is under attack now as never before since the late General Sani Abacha. Now, as then, those whose principles have not been compromised by being now closer to the corridors of power must close ranks and wage this war against freedom to the end. The end, of course, means retaining our liberties to publish or broadcast the truth to the people of Nigeria – despite the ever-present wish of all governments that unfavourable reports be suppressed.

WITH SUCH FRIENDS; WHO NEEDS ENEMIES

To be quite candid, it never crossed my mind that journalists could be physically arrested, handcuffed and thrown into dungeons, for days, by security officers in a government presided over by a multi-media entrepreneur, whose media houses, while in opposition, had championed media rights for years. Today, when I read pro-government papers or find myself watching their television, the first thing that strikes me is a sense of betrayal by editors and columnists who were once pillars of support for press freedom. 

While other papers regularly rise to the defence of editors and publishers arrested by the Police, Army or other security services, for defamation, which is not a criminal offence, the pro-government newspapers ignore the assault on the media. The proprietors, once strong voices for media rights, allow the attacks because “the jaws of power are always open to devour”. They were defenders of press freedom when out of power; now in power, it is the prerogatives of authority that apparently must be upheld at all costs. I am quite familiar with the script. In fact, even the betrayal by former comrades in arms is not new. Here is why.

I started writing for VANGUARD on the Economic/Business Pages in 1987, 37 years ago, while working for North Brewery Limited, Kano. For most of the early years, I focused on marketing and brand issues – especially brand wars (Maggi versus Royco and Knorr cubes, GUINNESS STOUT versus LEGEND). Each time I made predictions which drove some of the brand owners up the walls. I predicted the failure of Saltzebrau lager, launched by GUINNESS, long before it reached the market and crashed.


But, 1987 was also a landmark year for Nigeria. Structural Adjustment Programme, SAP, was launched by President Babangida – after some organised public debate. I was (and I am still) fully in support of the principles underlying SAP. The fact that SAP failed to deliver all its promises cannot be attributed to any inherent defect in the idea; just as nobody can blame Christianity and Islam for all the horrors in the world today. Led by Dr Kalu Idika Kalu, KIK, I was also a strong supporter of Value Added Tax, VAT. We were in the minority, but, we won the battle. Now, VAT contributes nothing less than N180 billion to the Federation Account shared monthly. Credit goes to Babangida for siding with us against the majority.

Unfortunately, there the romance ended between the IBB government and me.

In 1992, I was arrested in my office at the Nigerian Institute of Management, NIM, at Victoria Island, and taken to CBN Headquarters, Tinubu, Lagos, for getting published the article titled: CBN: CONFUSED BANK OF NIGERIA. In it, I made the point that multiple exchange rates would destroy SAP. CBN was the biggest client of NIM; and I wrote in my personal capacity. I was asked to write a retraction or resign. I resigned.


IBB’s transition to civil rule was then well-underway. Government had built party offices for the two parties, NRC and SDP, and it was also providing other support. But, nobody was telling Nigerians how much the programme would cost, at a time when Nigeria could not pay its external debts. Working with a few committed individuals – in and out of government – it was determined that the cost of the entire programme would be N40 billion. That figure, which first appeared in VANGUARD, has remained till today. But, somebody got annoyed. I was in detention for three days.

My last visit to detention during IBB’s era occurred when another article was published titled HIDDEN AGENDA; in which the point was made that Nigerians were being taken for a ride. IBB would not hand over to any civilian.

Fast forward to my fourth trip to detention under Abacha which might have been my last trip on earth in 1998; but for the assistance of friends at the United States Information Service. I was ushered into “the room just vacated by Chief Gani Fawehinmi who went home, but you are not going home.” My crime? I got published a Monday Morning News Analysis, based on investigation, that the bombs exploding in Lagos, two involving then Governor Marwa, were all timed to go off after the officials presumably targeted just left the scene. My conclusion: some people in the army were planting the bombs in order to provide excuses for Major El-Mustapha, then-Chief Security Officer for the regime, to go about arresting innocent people. That I had published the truth was later confirmed by the Justice Oputa Panel; when Sergeant Rogers and co were named as the culprits. I escaped certain death in Abacha’s detention thanks to friends at the USIS.

I was released on a Friday afternoon; got home and after the happy re-union, my wife said: “I hope you will now stop writing columns and find something else to do.” I told her to let me think about it. But, by then, I was in my fourth year of writing for SUNDAY VANGUARD. My column will not come out the Sunday after my release. I had three days to decide what to do. Nigeria was still in serious danger of worsening dictatorship. Should I join the NADECO people in exile? The USIS was ready to assist in that case. I didn’t run away like Bola Tinubu and others; and my column continued with the next article titled WE, THE MEDIA, SHALL WRITE YOUR OBITUARY. It was as defiant of dictators as possible under the circumstances.

What is the relevance of all these. Let me explain.


THE PRESENT SITUATION: ANOTHER CALL TO ARMS

“I…will die for the freedom of the press; even for the freedom of newspapers that call me everything that is good deal less…a gentleman” – US President Eisenhower, 1890-1969, press conference in Moscow, August 14, 1945.

 Eisenhower was not the President when he made that promise. He was the victorious Commander of the Allied Forces. Few Presidents of the US were as vilified by the media for his performance as Ike, as he was called. Yet, in eight years, no single journalist was arrested. Columnists like Norman Mailler, I. F Stone and Mike Royco made their reputations needling top US government officials including Generals. He kept his promise.

But, it was easy for the US President to keep his promise because he was aware that the American people cherish their press freedom. More importantly, the journalists were also prepared to fight for their rights – with everything at their disposal. Nigerian media, by and large, discharged its duties to the people; despite the few traitors in our midst. VANGUARD’s team was led by the late Alhaji Kola Animasaun, ably assisted by the late Pini Jason, Nnanna Ochereome, and Obi Nwakanma. Perhaps, only Alhaji was spared actual detention or threat of arrest. But, we never relented. Other papers then in print had their own heroes – Reuben Abati in GUARDIAN, Akin Osuntokun, Segun Adeniyi etc.

We all knew the risks we were taking; that each day could be our last. But, we also realised that all that was needed for evil to triumph was for all of us to do nothing. Today, Al-Mustapha, who could have sent us to early graves, has spent ten years in prison while we live; and he now lives in obscurity. He cannot now hurt a fly. His trial, which he and his lawyers did their worst to delay, was covered by reporters who, at the height of his powers, would not be seen within 50 kilometres of his office.

Obasanjo, as military Head of State, had a sign placed on the front gate of Obasanjo Farms at Sango-Ota, Ogun State reading: DOGS AND JOURNALISTS KEEP OUT. He considered it funny. But, when he was charged with treason and sentenced to death by the firing squad by Abacha, it was the media, hitherto treated with contempt, which saved his miserable life. I wrote an article arguing strongly that the man who had no respect for media could not possibly commit the crime. 

Today, he can go about uttering any nonsense he likes. I brought his case up only to remind those now in the corridors of power to remember the wisdom of Nnamdi Azikiwe: NO CONDITION IS PERMANENT. You might need the media to save your neck in the future.


Let me end this article in the words of Patrick Henry, 1736-1799: “Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God, I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!!” (VANGUARD BOOK OF QUOTATIONS, VBQ, p 128)

As far as I am concerned, no President, Chief of the Army Staff, Inspector General of Police, DG-DSS etc gave me my rights to free speech. 

*Dr. Sobowale is a  commentator on public issues

 

No comments:

Post a Comment