Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Towards A New And Better Nigeria (2): Obi’s ‘No Shishi’ As Political Contract

 By Pieray Awele Odor

I am an OBIdient! I cannot hide my choice or pretend about it. I have told my friends this as we discussed the man who merits to be the next president among the contestants for this highest position in Nigeria and, as Mr. Boris Johnson said, “The best job in the country”; not the best job for me though! I have also told them that what is important is why anyone supports any candidate.

*Obi

This should be the basis for discuss about who should be the next president. I chose to support Mr. Peter Obi because of his four bases for asking Nigerians to vote for him. These are “No shishi”, “Character”, “Track record” and Trust”. This is unique in Nigerian politics! Indeed it is phenomenal! In this piece, as contribution Toward a New and Better Nigeria, I shall discuss “No shishi”.

“No shishi” signifies a political contract. It is incumbent on all the people who have been going from one state, village and community to another to know that for telling the people to vote for them and adding what they will do when they win, they are making an offer to the people; and that when the people vote for them, based on what they said they will do, they express acceptance of their offer; and, hence, that a contract is established between them and the people.

This contract has legitimacy like any other contract. The people preserve the right to enforce it and to sue for any breach of it. These rights of the people is why I have argued among my friends and in the book that has the title of this piece that the people are participants in governance and NOT followers. It is insulting to call Nigerian electorate “followers” or “followership” because it derogates from their superior status vis-à-vis government functionaries.

In terms of business, which is what all politicians consider politics to be, the people own the business because they employ the president, governors, legislators and local government chairmen directly by voting for them. They own the business because they are the real rick bearers for not being absolutely certain that the people they vote for will be loyal to them when they vote.

They employ ministers, commissioners, etc, indirectly because these people are appointed by the people whom they employ directly. This is why Dr. Chris Ngige was categorically wrong and disrespectful to lecturers when he said: “They cannot dictated for their employers how they should be paid”.   

Concerning direct employments, what politicians say they will do during campaigns amount to applications for employments. The votes cast for each of them signifies employment. The employments impose duty and responsibility on the people who occupy positions in the political structure of Nigeria to serve the people by doing all that they want and ask for, for their good and the good of Nigeria, as applies generally in employer-employee relations. 

The reality about Nigerian politicians however is that while they are in the positions that the people graciously put them, they make themselves Ubermensch — authority, principle, god and lord — over the people, and the people their slaves. They use the power that the people entrusted them with concerning their interests to deny the people what they have right to have as their employers to oppress them, cause them to suffer poverty, hunger, diseases and death; homelessness and hopelessness. They do these absolutely wrong and obnoxious things as democrats, and the people cannot punish them.

This is another reason it is absolutely wrong to say “democracy is the best form of government” and “the most liberal dictatorship is worse than the worse democracy”. Note: “By their fruits we shall know them” (Matthew 7:15-16), “For forms of government let fools contest. Whatever is best administered is best” (Alexander Pope, 1734). I rest my case against the dictatorship of democracy for now.

Now to my interest proper, Mr. Peter Obi’s political contract. His offer to Nigerians is expressed thus: “I, Mr. Peter Obi, will not give you shshi in order that you will vote for me as other people did and my major co-contestants have been doing. When you vote for me in spite of not receiving shishi from me, when I become the next president, I will not steal, loot or embezzle shisi. They loot your shishi then play philanthropists with it! I will not build mansions, buy fleet of cars and establish companies with your shishi as they do. I will not store your shishi in banks in Nigeria or launder it in foreign banks as others did and do.

“I recognise that God blessed Nigeria with good population of intelligent, energetic, and hardworking people, and natural resources. I recognise that I must be absolutely loyal to you when I become your president, because you made me president by voting for me, and because voting for me imposes contractual trust on me. I will dedicate and commit myself to carry out my duties and responsibilities to you as a covenant. I will do all that are good for you and not what are good for me,  what are good for me and my family, what are good for me, my family and members of my party, or what are good for me, my family, members of my party, and my friends.

“I will not transfer the loyalty that I owe you to the IMF, World Bank, WTO, Paris Club, other globalist organisations, sundry proxies who call themselves “experts” and “consultants”. Selfishness by others harmed your economy, currency value and development very seriously. I will not be selfish. Vote for me and establish the contract which I, Mr. Peter Obi, formally enter into with you today consciously, deliberately, and freely. Thank you very much in anticipation that you will carry out your part of the contract by voting for me”.

*Prince Pieray Awele Odor, an Independent Researcher and Public Good Promoter, writes from Akoka, Lagos (PrincePeterAweleOdor@gmail.com)

-------------

RELATED POST


Election 2023: Toward A New And Better Nigeria

 

No comments:

Post a Comment