Thursday, October 1, 2026

Where Did This Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba Come From?

By Funlayo Ademola-Adefolaju

It wasn't like this when I was growing up in the 60s, 70s.

This deep hatred I see now between Igbo and Yoruba on Facebook breaks my heart, because this is not the Nigeria I knew.

In those days, we were friends to Justice Ibekwe's children - Maureen, Cecilia, Vivian, Dan and the others. We were friends to Ambassador Matthew Mbu's children. The Ekwemes, the Ewenrems, Nwanbueze, Collins Obi, Sir Azikiwe, Chief & Mrs. Grace Ezeife, the Njokus in OPEC, the Abbeys, the Oguguas, the Akpakas, the Nwachukwus, the Ojukwus at Queens Drive, Ikoyi etc. We visited each other's homes freely. We ate together. We played together. We laughed together. Nobody taught us to ask "are you Igbo or Yoruba?" We were just one.

My sister and I still bear Igbo names till today. That's how close we were. Our parents loved each other like family.

So I keep asking myself - what happened? When did this deep-seated hatred take over Nigeria?

I think this is what happened to us:

1. Politicians divided us for votes. It became easier to win elections by telling Yoruba to fear Igbo, and Igbo to fear Yoruba, than to campaign on real development.

2. We never truly healed after the Civil War. We said "No Victor, No Vanquished" but we never really sat down to forgive, to heal, to tell our children the truth with love.

3. Struggle over Lagos and survival. Lagos welcomed everyone and everyone built it. But economic hardship has made people turn that shared success into a fight over who owns what.

4. Social media amplifies the worst of us. In the 60s, tribal sentiments were whispered. Now, anyone can write a hateful post about Yoruba or Igbo and thousands will share it. The loudest, angriest voices now look like the majority.

But they are not the majority.

The average Igbo trader in Alaba and the average Yoruba trader in Ibadan want the same thing - peace, good business, and a future for their children.

I am a proud Yoruba woman. I am also proud that my sister and I have Igbo names. I will not hate my childhood friends to satisfy politicians.

Igbo is not my enemy. Yoruba is not the enemy of Igbo. Bad leadership and poverty are our common enemies.

I still believe in that beautiful Nigeria where Justice Ibekwe's children were my own brothers and sisters.

We can find our way back. We must. Biko nu.

God bless Nigeria.

*Princess Funlayo Ademola-Adefolaju, FIIM Public Administrator|Child & Youth Advocate

No comments:

Post a Comment